An organized living space contributes to an atmosphere of calm and comfort. There’s nothing like coming home after a long day, walking into a clean house, and wrapping up in a super soft minky blanket. However, it can be hard to keep your favorite blankets easily accessible without leaving them lying around looking messy. You need a creative way to store and display them that looks great with your decor. Learn how to make a blanket ladder for hanging blankets beautifully in any room of the house.
Why Clear the Clutter?
It may seem harmless to have a couple of blankets thrown across a couch or chair, but it can actually affect your mood and mental state. A cluttered environment causes feelings of stress and can deplete your energy, while a clean space helps you to feel safe and relaxed. Combining your cozy, comforting blankets with a cute blanket ladder enables you to keep those items in your favorite and most-frequented areas. When you see them hanging nicely, they will inspire feelings of happiness rather than frustration.
DIY Blanket Ladder Ideas
It’s up to you to choose the size, color, and type of blanket ladder that best suits your decor and personal preferences. You can purchase blanket ladders that are already made, or you can make one yourself, plus you’ll get to style it with whatever makes you happy. You can add a stain or coat of paint in your favorite color, string lights around the posts, hang a wreath or other seasonal decorations across the top, or choose blankets with coordinating colors. Of course, you can always keep it simple and hang the blankets you use most frequently.
How to Make a Blanket Ladder
After choosing from your favorite DIY blanket ladder ideas, it’s time to start rounding up materials and getting to work. You will need two boards that are 2 x 4 inches for the sides. The length will depend on how tall you want the blanket ladder to be. You will also need sturdy wooden dowels for the rungs and a drill with a bit the same circumference as the dowels. Again, you can choose the size, but we recommend 1¼-inch dowels. Finally, you’ll need the stain or paint you’d like to use for the color, as well as the tools and supplies listed below.
- Measuring tape
- Miter saw
- Wood glue
- Speed square
Begin by measuring and marking the desired lengths on the wood planks and dowels. Double-check your measurements before making any cuts. Make sure you’ve planned for the rungs to be evenly spaced and that you’ve left enough room between them to drape your blankets. We recommend making them 16 inches apart for the best results. Use the measuring tape and speed square to determine where you will drill the holes in the planks for inserting the dowels. Make sure the holes are centered in the planks.
- Secure the planks in place, then use the drill to make a hole approximately ¾ of the depth of the plank. If you drill all the way through, the board may splinter on the backside. Drill until you can see a tiny mark on the backside, then flip the board over and drill the rest of the opening.
- Choose which end of the plank will be the feet and cut this end at a slight angle (approximately 10 degrees) to enable the ladder to lean properly against a wall.
- Use the miter saw to cut the dowels down to about 22 inches in length.
- Coat the inside of the holes on one plank with a small amount of wood glue and also apply glue to one end (not the tips) of the dowels.
- Insert dowels into holes. If the fit is tight, use a cushioned rubber mallet to help get the dowels into place.
- Add glue to the other end of the dowels and the holes of the other plank and insert in the same way.
- Sand and add stain or paint.
- Add rubber feet to protect flooring.
Minky Blankets for Your Blanket Ladder
Deciding how to decorate is the final step of how to make a blanket ladder. Minky blankets are super soft and come in various colors and designs, and are the simplest way to make a statement. It’s easy to find one (or several) that match your decor and personality. Plus, they’ll quickly become your favorite blanket for every occasion. Check out Sew Sweet Minky Designs for luxurious blankets to complete your new blanket ladder feature.