If you want to redecorate your home with new blankets, you need to understand the different options you have. After all, it’s your home, so you should be satisfied with the accessories you choose.
There are a lot of types of blankets out in the market. That can make your search a bit overwhelming, but here at Sew Sweet, we’ve narrowed it down for you with just five of the most popular blanket styles.
What Are the Different Types of Blankets?
Each of these five blanket types has its own unique style and texture that will help you create the home of your dreams.
If you’re looking for something that’ll keep you warm and toasty during the winter months, then a comforter will be a great fit. Comforters are typically made from two types of materials:
- A quilted outer layer usually made from cotton or a polyester blend
- An inner layer of polyfill, down, feathers, or cotton that fills the blanket
Intended to sit on top of your sheets, a comforter can create a layered look to your bed. They come in various designs and are popular for being soft, fluffy, and lightweight while holding in a significant amount of heat.
Duvets often get confused with comforters and vice versa. While duvets are also fluffy blankets filled with synthetic material, they’re not standalone pieces like comforters are. A duvet is designed to be used with a duvet cover, which is a protective layer that slips over the duvet. Think of duvets as a pillow and duvet covers as the pillowcase.
Comforters can be challenging to wash; in contrast, duvets are easier because you only need to wash the duvet cover. Plus, you can easily redecorate your bed with a simple switch of this outer layer!
Looking for something versatile, lightweight, warm, and snuggle-worthy? Then you need a minky blanket. One-hundred percent polyester, minky blankets are incredibly soft and luxurious blankets that provide substantial warmth without too much bulk. Better yet, you can put one anywhere in your home: as a throw for your living room sofa, bed, or chair or as another layer of your bedding.
Quilts are blankets that combine art and comfort. They traditionally come in three layers:
- Top layer: Made from different types of fabrics sewn together through ornate stitches
- Inner batted layer: A thin filling made of cotton or wool
- Bottom layer: A thick fabric sewn together like the top layer
A centuries-old form of art, quilt-making brings together unique fabrics and stitches to create a series of colorful and artistic designs. Quilts are ideal for warmer seasons and to layer with your other bedding. And if the design is unique, bold, and gorgeous, you might use your quilt blanket as a throw for your living room sofa for everyone to appreciate.
Cotton blankets are comforting classics. Woven blankets made from 100% cotton fabric, they’re great for all seasons, and they can complement almost any decor. Cotton blankets are also highly breathable, allowing for less sweaty nights. If you tend to be a warm sleeper, cotton blankets can help balance your temperature to give you a good night’s rest.
Which Blanket Is the Most Comfortable?
With these different types of blankets, you might be wondering, “Which one is the best?” It really depends on your personal preferences, but we’ve got a couple of pointers:
- If you’re looking for something that will envelop you with substantial warmth and comfort, duvets are your best bet. They are not only fluffy, lightweight, and warm but also adjustable. You can easily switch the colors of your duvet cover based on your or your loved one’s design preferences for each season.
- Minky blankets are a great option if you’re looking for something not as large as a duvet and/or want something a bit more versatile you can take outside of the bedroom. Minky blankets will provide you with warmth and a silky smooth texture that makes lounging and napping much more comfortable.
Discover Quality Minky Blankets
Kick off your blanket journey by checking out Sew Sweet’s minky blankets. We have plenty of design and size options to make furnishing your home simple and easy. Be sure to also learn more about the fabric behind our high-quality minky blankets. Have fun shopping for blankets that fill your home with warmth and personality.